Free Solitaire: No Download Required
Do you love playing solitaire but don’t want to download any software or register on any website? If so, you’re in luck! There are many sites that offer free solitaire games that you can play online, in your web browser, and in full screen. In this article, we will tell you everything you need to know about solitaire, why you should play it online, and what are the best sites to play solitaire online.
What is Solitaire?
Solitaire is a card game that can be played by one person. It is also known as patience, klondike, or simply solitaire. The game involves arranging cards in a specific order, usually from ace to king, on four piles called foundations. There are also seven columns of cards called tableau, where you can move cards around according to some rules. The game is won when all cards are moved to the foundations.
A Brief History of Solitaire
Solitaire is believed to have originated in Germany or Scandinavia in the 18th century. It was first mentioned in a German book in 1783, and later became popular in France and England. The game was brought to America by British settlers, and became a favorite pastime of many people, including presidents and celebrities. The game was also adapted for computers, and became one of the most played games on Windows since 1990.
How to Play Solitaire
There are many variations of solitaire, but the most common one is called klondike solitaire. Here is how to play it:
The Rules of Solitaire
- The game is played with a standard 52-card deck.
- The cards are shuffled and dealt into seven columns, with the first column having one card, the second column having two cards, and so on. The top card of each column is face up, and the rest are face down.
- The four foundations are empty at the start of the game.
- You can move cards from one place to another, following these rules:
- You can move a face-up card from the tableau to another tableau column, if the card you are moving is one rank lower and of the opposite color than the card on top of the destination column.
- You can move a face-up card from the tableau to a foundation, if the card you are moving is an ace or matches the suit and rank of the top card on the foundation.
- You can move a group of cards from one tableau column to another, if they are in descending order and alternating colors, and if the card you are moving them onto is one rank higher and of the opposite color than the bottom card of the group.
- You can move a card from a foundation back to the tableau, if you need to.
- You can turn over a face-down card on the tableau, if there is no card on top of it.
- You can draw cards from the stock pile (the remaining cards that are not dealt) and place them on the waste pile (the face-up cards next to the stock pile). You can move the top card of the waste pile to the tableau or the foundations, following the same rules as above.
- You can go through the stock pile once or three times, depending on your preference.
The Goal of Solitaire
The goal of solitaire is to move all cards from the tableau and the waste pile to the foundations, in ascending order from ace to king, in the same suit. You win the game when all four foundations are complete.
The Strategy of Solitaire
Solitaire is a game of skill and luck, but there are some tips and tricks that can help you improve your chances of winning. Here are some of them:
- Always move an ace or a deuce to the foundations as soon as possible.
- Try to keep the tableau columns as balanced as possible, and avoid emptying a column unless you have a king to fill it.
- Expose the face-down cards on the tableau as soon as possible, and prioritize the columns with the most face-down cards.
- Don’t rush to move cards to the foundations, unless you are sure they won’t be needed on the tableau.
- Use the undo button or the hint button if you get stuck or need some guidance.
Why Play Solitaire Online?
Solitaire is a classic game that can be enjoyed by anyone, anywhere, and anytime. But why play solitaire online, instead of using a physical deck of cards or a computer program? Here are some reasons why playing solitaire online is a great idea:
Benefits of Playing Solitaire Online
No Download or Registration Needed
One of the best things about playing solitaire online is that you don’t need to download any software or register on any website. You can just visit any of the sites we recommend below, and start playing right away. You don’t need to worry about viruses, malware, or spam. You also don’t need to provide any personal information or create an account. You can play solitaire online anonymously and securely.
Variety of Solitaire Games
Another advantage of playing solitaire online is that you can choose from a variety of solitaire games, not just klondike solitaire. There are many other types of solitaire games, such as spider solitaire, freecell solitaire, pyramid solitaire, golf solitaire, and more. Each game has its own rules, challenges, and strategies. You can try different games and find your favorite one. You can also switch between games whenever you want, and never get bored.
Customizable Settings and Features
Playing solitaire online also gives you more control over your gaming experience. You can customize the settings and features of the game according to your preferences. For example, you can change the difficulty level, the number of draws, the card design, the background color, the sound effects, and more. You can also use features such as undo, hint, auto-complete, timer, score, statistics, and leaderboards. You can make the game as easy or as hard as you want, and as simple or as fancy as you want.
Save Your Progress and Statistics
Finally, playing solitaire online allows you to save your progress and statistics. You can pause the game and resume it later, without losing your place. You can also keep track of your wins, losses, moves, time, and score. You can see how you improve over time, and compare your performance with other players. You can also challenge yourself to beat your own records, or compete with others on the leaderboards.
Best Sites to Play Solitaire Online
Now that you know why playing solitaire online is awesome, you might be wondering where to play it. There are many sites that offer free solitaire games online, but not all of them are equally good. Some sites have annoying ads, pop-ups, or glitches. Some sites have limited options or low-quality graphics. Some sites have outdated or unsafe software. To help you avoid these problems, we have selected three of the best sites to play solitaire online:
Google Solitaire is one of the simplest and most convenient sites to play solitaire online. It is accessible from any web browser or device (including mobile phones and tablets), and it is completely free and ad-free. It offers klondike solitaire in two modes: easy (one card draw) and hard (three card draw). It has basic settings such as sound on/off and undo button. It also has a timer and a score counter. It is perfect for casual players who want a quick and easy game of solitaire.
Free Online Solitaire
Free Online Solitaire is one of the most comprehensive and customizable sites to play solitaire online. It offers 12 different types of solitaire games: klondike (turn one or three), spider (one suit, two suits, or four suits), freecell, pyramid, tripeaks, golf, addiction, crescent, yukon, scorpion, and canfield. It has advanced settings such as card size, card back, background, animation speed, and auto-play options. It also has features such as undo, hint, restart, statistics, and leaderboards. It is ideal for avid players who want a variety of solitaire games and a high level of customization.
Klondike Solitaire is one of the most elegant and user-friendly sites to play solitaire online. It offers klondike solitaire in three modes: draw one (easy), draw three (medium), and vegas (hard). It has beautiful graphics and smooth animations. It also has settings such as sound effects, music, and full screen. It also has features such as undo, hint, auto-complete, timer, score, moves, and statistics. It is suitable for players who want a classic and stylish game of solitaire.
Solitaire is a fun and relaxing game that can be played by anyone, anywhere, and anytime. Playing solitaire online is even better, because you don’t need to download or register anything, you can choose from a variety of solitaire games, you can customize the settings and features of the game, and you can save your progress and statistics. If you are looking for the best sites to play solitaire online, we recommend Google Solitaire, Free Online Solitaire, and Klondike Solitaire. Try them out and see which one you like best!
- Q: What is the difference between solitaire and patience?
A: Solitaire and patience are two names for the same game. Solitaire is more commonly used in America, while patience is more commonly used in Europe.
- Q: What is the origin of the name solitaire?
A: The name solitaire comes from the French word “solitaire”, which means “alone” or “isolated”. It refers to the fact that the game can be played by one person.
- Q: What is the probability of winning solitaire?
A: The probability of winning solitaire depends on many factors, such as the type of solitaire game, the number of draws, the skill of the player, and the luck of the deal. According to some estimates, the probability of winning klondike solitaire with one card draw is about 79%, while with three card draw it is about 21%.
- Q: What are some other names for klondike solitaire?
A: Klondike solitaire is also known as American patience, Chinese patience, fascination, triangle solitaire, or simply solitaire.
- Q: What are some other types of card games that can be played by one person?
A: Some other types of card games that can be played by one person are spiderette (a smaller version of spider solitaire), baker’s dozen (a variation of klondike solitaire), accordion (a game where you try to compress the cards into one pile), clock (a game where you try to arrange the cards in a clock-like pattern), or napoleon at st helena (a game where you try to build eight foundations from ace to king).